Hummingbird tattoo designs are one of the most popular tattoo designs for women, although a few men have the design too. You can have hummingbird tattoos in a variety of designs, sizes, color and styles, and it may be paired with different symbols and elements. Because a hummingbird tattoo can come with a lot of varieties, it can be tattooed on almost any part of the body.
This article is going to cover all about hummingbird tattoos, its meanings, designs and almost everything in between. This article hopes to get you excited and inspire you if you are thinking of getting a hummingbird tattoo.
Hummingbird Tattoo Design Meanings
Tattoos of birds are becoming more and more popular, especially for the women. And, the hummingbird tattoo is one of the most popular bird designs.
Hummingbirds are mostly found on the American continent. You can find species of hummingbird from Alaska to Chile. Hummingbirds are often portrayed in mythology, folklore, literature and legends of different cultures. For Native Americans, the hummingbird is the symbol of love.
The Aztec culture also has a strong association with hummingbirds. Aztec religious leaders and royalty wore dead hummingbirds and hummingbird feathers in their necks. For the Aztecs, hummingbirds are the reincarnation of their dead warriors. Tobago and Trinidad are often referred to as the “land of the hummingbirds”. The hummingbird is unique in its own ways. It is able to fly in almost all directions, even upside down and backwards. It can reach speeds of up to 25 miles per hour. On top of that, it performs all this in a very graceful manner. Hummingbirds burn energy in a very fast way. Because of this, they have to consume food up to 50 times daily. The hummingbird’s main source of food is flowers. This is the reason why hummingbirds are often paired with flowers in a tattoo design. Hummingbirds are not able to survive without the flowers, and the flowers wouldn’t be able to survive without the help of hummingbirds.
A hummingbird tattoo design is often a head-turner because of the uniqueness of the hummingbird and the tattoo work itself. Just like in real-life, a hummingbird often draws attention because of its beauty and grace. Wherever you find butterflies, you are likely to find hummingbirds as well.
Because of the small size of the hummingbird, it often needs to work hard to get along with life. A hummingbird tattoo design can represent the hardship of life. People who experienced with a lot difficulty can proudly carry a hummingbird design to represent their struggle. A lot of people can relate to such an idea, and that is why the hummingbird is one of the symbols of strength to rise above the hardships and troubles. Although a hummingbird tattoo can represent hardship, but its power draws from the fact of surpassing the struggles.
- A hummingbird tattoo design can also represent a life that is lived at to its fullest, cherishing the joy of every drawn breath. Such an idea is often advised to many of us, but how many of us live the words. A hummingbird tattoo design can be something that will remind of you of such life philosophy.
- A hummingbird tattoo design may be used to represent the difficulties and strength to push through, but it can also be used to represent other meanings, like charm, life, hope, joy and love. For some cultures, a hummingbird tattoo design is often a symbol of peace.
- Most people know that hummingbirds are birds that need to be on the go constantly. Because of this, it can symbolize vigor, energy, unfailing effort and hard work. You could be a person who puts a value on doing a good job and/or a person that gets the job done. A hummingbird tattoo design can be used to represent such values.
- A contact with a hummingbird may be fleeting. It may appear to you in an instant, and disappears just as fast. However, if you prepare food for them, make them feel safe, hummingbirds can become regular visitors. Because of such behavior, hummingbird tattoo design can represent peace and goodwill.
- A hummingbird tattoo design may also represent happiness, attraction, care and respect between two individuals. This is one of the reasons that some couples choose to get a matching hummingbird tattoo. You can say it’s a representation of their relationship.
- Another interesting characteristic of a hummingbird is its solitary nature. It is a lone traveler that spends its time mostly by itself. Because of this characteristic, a hummingbird tattoo design can also use to represent the idea of being independent and personal freedom.
Tips Before Getting a Tattoo
Before you have a hummingbird design inked on you, it’s best that you are thorough when it comes to research for different meanings, styles and designs. Make sure that you know what it represents in relation to your life.
Do not rush into getting a hummingbird tattoo. Take lots of time and be sure that you choose a design that you are 100% confident. What you want to avoid is getting a hummingbird design that you are only “okay” with. There is a good chance that you will get bored with it down the road.
If you are thorough with your research, take all the time in the world, check different artists, styles, then there is a good chance that you will be much happier with it.
Tattoos on the face, hands and feet will need more touch-ups. It will also need more attention so it will heal properly. Some artists may ask extra for these locations, so be prepared with it.
Try having a temporary hummingbird tattoos, with the same design and location. Although, a temporary tattoo may not be as vibrant in colors, but it will give you a general idea and feel of having that specific hummingbird tattoo.
A hummingbird tattoo design is one of the most popular bird tattoos, especially for women. A hummingbird tattoo may represent a lot of things, from strength to symbol of peace. Before getting a hummingbird tattoo, make sure that you take your time and do ample research when it comes to style and design. Don’t look for something that is just okay. Look for something that seems to call you, and/or get you excited for days.